These are a few things one should think about before coming in for a consultation or procedure.
Know about your Procedure:
1. Once you know what you want to get done, read about the procedure.
2. You can find information about the procedure on the net by doing a search on any of the popular search engines. Google, Yahoo, Alta Vista, etc being a few of them
3. Read about all the options available for what you want to get done
4. Search for possible complications with regards to the procedure.Educating your self about the options and the procedure will give you new insights into the procedure and will help you mentally prepare for them.
What to know about your treatment provider:
1. Read about your procedure and know who is qualified to such a procedure. You will find lots of people claiming to do certain procedures in certain centers.
2. Surgical procedures are done by plastic surgeons, only they are trained to do them and licensed by the Medical Council of India to perform them.
3. The Association of Plastic Surgeons of India ( APSI) is the the authority granting certification to all the plastic surgeons in India. (www.apsi.in)
4. Dont feel shy of asking your doctor about his certification and training. I have many of my patients asking me these questions. Patients coming from abroad make it a point to find out these details.
5. Talk to your surgeon in detail. Place in front of him all you fears and apprehensions. Most of your doubts will be cleared but dont get offended if they do no respond to some questions by giving you the worst possible scenario. It is done so you realize that all surgeries are serious matters .
6. Always beware a doctor who does not tell you the complications or tell you that there are no complications at all. Either, he hasnt done enough surgeries to see complications or he is lying about them.
7. Dont rush into a procedure. Always take your time to think about it after discussion with your doctor. I NEVER operate on a patient after one consultation. I always call them at least a second or third time before I operate on them. This is because I want them to be sure of what they are undergoing.
So keeping all these in mind, just to recapitulate:
1. Be clear about what you want.
2. Vague requests get vague results, if at all anyone operates on them.
3. Educate yourself about the procedure, who should do them, the various options and the possible complications.
4. As far as the body is concerned “ Guarantees dont work !!!” Every thing has its limitations and one has to work within those limitations to achieve the best results.
5. Know about the credentials of your doctor.
6. Surgical procedures have to be done in properly equipped Operating theaters and not in some “ clinic”, with care regarding sterility and safety equipment.
7. Please remember if a doctor is saying “NO “ to a procedure there must be a reason behind it. Ask him the reasons and trust his decisions. All doctors want to provide you with a good result and most will refuse a patient if they know what he or she expects is unrealistic.
8. Always follow orders with regards to quitting smoking , cleaning the wound, wearing garments, taking medicines and taking rest.
9. Remember you can rush yourself and the surgeon but you cannot rush your body to heal. It will take its own time.
10 Trust your doctor ,be sure to keep in touch with him and inform him of any problems you might be facing, instead of going to another doctor who doesnt know what exactly was done.
Hence dont be afraid, go ahead, take the decision, but just make an educated decision which will be of a great help to you and to your doctor.
Suite 213, 2nd Floor,
EVA Mall, 60, Brigade Road,
Dr. Surindher is a graduate from G.R.Medical College in Gwalior. He completed his Medical undergraduate studies and then his Post Graduation in Surgery. Visit Website »
Body By Design Vacations (BBDV) is an Australian owned and operated company here to assist you with organizing your trip to India for your long sought after treatment. Visit Website »